Our think tank’s most important asset is our people. We value our extraordinary, inspiring, diverse and unique resources. We recruit people from a wide variety of professions and backgrounds, at different stages of their careers.
In addition to applications for advertised positions, CERRE welcomes spontaneous expressions of interest from academic researchers. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Head of Communications
To drive CERRE forward, we are recruiting a multi-talented Head of Communications. The successful candidate will show they have the skills and personality to design an innovative communications strategy which secures expanded visibility for the think tank – and enhanced impact of our work – in Brussels, in Member States and beyond Europe.
They will have the opportunity to communicate on hotly anticipated studies making practical recommendations that help shape future regulation, while playing a key role in the management of a leading European think tank.
The Head of Communications will develop, drive and manage all communications content, strategies and activities to ensure impact of CERRE studies, events and work streams.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, they will contribute to the overall strategy for the think tank. This includes CERRE’s development, strategic direction, membership management, membership value, secretariat evolution and team needs.
The successful candidate will build out and direct a small team that delivers CERRE’s communications and events activities. Under their leadership, this team will be expected to:
- Develop, manage and implement the think tank’s communications strategy including a broad range of online and offline communications activities; ensure a steady cadence of these activities, including events, social media, media relations, etc.
- Manage the corporate communications to position CERRE as a global think tank of reference in the regulation of network and digital industries.
- Strengthen and develop long-term relationships with editorial desks and individual journalists (at national, EU and global levels), pitch stories and interviews (with senior CERRE staff and academics), draft press releases, opinion pieces, blogs, etc.
- Manage all communications activities related to the launch of CERRE studies:
- Engage with colleagues from across the organisation to define outcomes, objectives and key messages from research projects.
- Oversee the development and delivery of public events to present CERRE research.
- Draft key messages and oversee the preparation of communications materials (website text, press releases, infographics, videos, social media content and visuals).
- Successfully deliver campaigns through engaging, advising and encouraging colleagues on the best use of communications tools.
- Oversee every aspect and check the quality of content for all communication channels and tools including website, social media, events, and internal communications.
- Develop creative digital content across a variety of formats on CERRE’s online channels and social media.
- Manage the production of all communications materials, including reports, issue papers, op-eds, briefings, blogs, videos, visuals, newsletters, annual reports, etc.
- Oversee the development, promotion and delivery of high-profile events with Commissioners, MEPs, CEOs, and C-Suite stakeholders.
- Manage and further develop the CERRE ‘identity’, ensuring consistency of branding and messaging across all channels. Set and monitor standards and guidelines to ensure consistency and quality of messaging.
- Check and review crisis communications processes regularly as the context around the think tank evolves.
- Great communicator.
- Significant (7+ years) experience developing and leading communications programmes, preferably in a think tank, NGO, public affairs agency or industry association.
- Experience leading and motivating a team to deliver ambitious results.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the European bubble and its key players.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, able to work as part of a small and dynamic team (~10 people in the Brussels office).
- Positive, ambitious, resilient, entrepreneurial, and solutions-focused.
- Excellent English skills. Clear, fluent and concise analytical and (oral and written) communication skills. French and/or German are a plus.
- Significant media relations experience and contacts with a wide variety of journalists relevant to the think tank’s activities.
- Ability to quickly understand complex economic or legal material, identify key messages and translate these into effective communications.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
The position is based in Brussels (Avenue Louise/Bois de la Cambre) and a competitive package is on offer to the right candidate, who should ideally be able to start as soon as possible.
To apply for this position, send your CV and a short cover letter to John.McSweeney@cerre.eu with ‘Head of Communications [Name of the applicant]’ in the subject line before 30 November 2020. Interviews of preselected candidates may start before that date.